Thursday, August 14, 2008

Jobsworth

Why are some people such jobsworths?

I was working in the new building today, where the hot desks are not yet setup with network connections so you've got to find anywhere you can to work. Not everybody has moved in, and so some floors are pretty empty.

The building itself has an open floor policy. You need your pass to get onto each floor, but everybody has access to them. The only exception is a department where there is a risk of disgruntled customers attempting to deal with their complaints 'face to face'. But even their floors are planned to have open access to the meeting rooms and hot desk areas.

Today, I went onto a floor that wasn't yet occupied and settled myself into one of the meeting rooms that had a network connection and a phone.

Half way through the day, a man walked past the room and asked me whether I worked for his department. When I replied in the negative, he accused me of not being authorised to be on the floor. I said I was just hot desking, because the nominated desks hadn't been set up yet. He asked how I managed to get onto a restricted floor, and seemed put out when I told him it wasn't a restricted floor. He left muttering that he'll have to get that changed.

Five minutes later, he returned asking for my details. I gladly gave him my name and department. He then said that he was concerned about the OH&S aspect of my being on an empty floor. Next thing I know, I get a call from one of our relationship managers saying she's been told I'm causing an OH&S issue. She obviously didn't think there was an issue, but I was leaving for a vendor meeting in the next half-hour anyway so everyone was happy.

I didn't see the guy again.

All that because I was sitting in a meeting room that nobody was using but he obviously thought I had no right to be in. Security had chatted to me when they were doing their rounds. The building move Project Managers were taking contractors round pointing out work that needed to be finished and didn't comment on my presence. But this guy just couldn't let it lie.

Trouble is, we've got a team workshop booked on this particular floor all day on Monday. I think they'll have moved in by then. I wonder if he'll ask why we're using one of "his" meeting rooms.

Labels: